Monday, June 15, 2015

A $13.50 Cushion?!


My latest yard sale find was a patio table and six chairs. Anyone that knows anything about outdoor furniture should agree that it is all entirely too over priced for the quality and style. When I began searching for furniture for my front porch, I search store after store. After hours of searching online I decided I would jump on the next good deal on the yard sale page. I was refusing to pay $1,000 for a set I wasn't completely happy with.

Like all good deals and high demand items, almost every patio set that was posted was sold in a matter of minutes.

FINALLY I was what seemed like the first person to see the furniture post so I immediately messaged the lady the I wanted to purchase it. Even if it wasn't the exact style I wished for at least I would save some money. Cha Ching! The lady sold the table and six chairs for $75. Not a bad deal at all for this set that would last forever with proper care.


This was the taken after I had hauled the set to my house and painted them with the same paint I had left over from my kitchen table. The seats of the chairs were made of wood, which will soon be replaced with scrap metal. I was very happy with the way it looked after a fresh coat of paint. 

There was no way I was going to let my house guests sit on the hard wooden seats at a cook out so I was on my way to Walmart to purchase cushions for my new patio furniture set with a few of my closest friends (Kala and Virginia).

I searched through a few selections of cushions and just didn't have any luck on finding 6 of the exact same pattern. There were 5 of the pattern that was my favorite. That wasn't going to cut it. Finally I settled for a black and white set that was a paisley print... 

Time to check out and take them home to my patio. 
WRONG!

THIRTEEN DOLLARS AND FIFTY CENTS FOR ONE CUSHION?!?!

No way I would pay $81 for cushions (before tax) when the entire metal set didn't even cost that. 
So stubborn little me decided to make my own. It may take longer but it would be worth it.

I ended up sewing 6 cushions by hand, that looked better than anything I had saw at Walmart. They ended up costing me $4.03 a piece. 

Ta-Da!

No comments:

Post a Comment